width=

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

On My Heart...

Lately, I have been thinking alot about what I want to be when I "grow up." Yes, I am almost 28 years old, and still don't have a "career" to speak of. Let me recap:

I recieved my Associate's Degree in Medical Transcription in 2005. Searched for a job online for over a year. Finally got a local job doing work for ONE doctor in a local nursing home. The director or said nursing home wouldn't let me offer my services to the other doctors working there. I was only making about $20.00 a week. So I quit.

Found another job online, which was using archaic software (who even uses the F keys anymore??!!?) and they wouldn't help me learn how to navagate their system. I typed up one document for them. THREE CENTS. I quit, right then and there.

So, I got my insurance license and was an Allstate agent for two years. Loved it, hated the sales goals (way outta my reach, unattainable so I never got my commission) and eventually I moved on from that job as well.

I am back to serving, which I have been doing off and on since I was 17 years old. Nowhere to go in a job like this, unless you want the drama of management, which I don't want to deal with.

So now I am enrolled in an online school for my Pharmacy Technician degree, which I think I will like. The only thing is....


It's not what I want to do.


I have always been told "Find a job that makes you happy, because if you don't you won't want to get up in the morning." I totally feel like that now. I have a severe love/hate relationship with my job right now. I love the customers, my regulars, and I'm good at what I do and I enjoy the actual serving part of my job. I can't stand the drama of a restaurant. Everyone always in bad moods, constantly getting screwed over, no seniority/paying of "dues" even though I had to "pay" mine, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure that I'm going to love my job when I become a pharmacy technician. I think that I will like it, but I don't think I would love it.


But...


I would love to be a photographer, professionally. I think I'm pretty good, although I have no proof other than a few photos of my kid and some flowers. I don't have a decent camera, and so I don't know if I consider myself "up to par." But, I think I could learn, and I think I could be good. It will probably be something that I will eventually do on the side a few years down the road.

An idea that I have been playing around with lately is opening my own Etsy shop. I searched on that website, and there are a lot of people who sell the same thing I am interested in making, but I have a ton of ideas in my head that are slightly different from everything that is on there at the moment.


Photo courtesy of SlyRaven on Etsy


I am thinking about making bracelets. All different kinds - beaded ones, knotted ones, wrapped ones, ones with charms, ones with patterns, cuffs, dainty bracelets, EVERYTHING!

The only thing I need? Embroidery floss, and interest. I casually mentioned it to the girls at work tonight and they said that if I made them they would buy them from me. I'm thinking about starting out with custom work and once I get some "themed" ones made and photographed offering those PLUS any bracelet customized in any colors they want.

So, what do you think? It's been on my heart a lot lately, and in my mind bouncing around. Every time I think about it I start to get excited and nervous...now...

What do I call it?????? (HA! Any of you who have read for a while know that I can't seem to stick to a title for my blog, so how am I going to name my shop!!) The enternal debate begins!!!

Linking up here:


Aunie Sauce


Photobucket


Eternity Kind of LovePhotobucket
Dresses from Shabby AppleMom2MemphisAndRubyStuff I Love

1 comment:

Lacey said...

It can't hurt to open a shop and see what happens. I'm currently dumping thousands of dollars into my education so I can get my BFA in Creative Writing. When I think about it seriously I don't think I will be able to do much with it (especially since we do not live in La La Land anymore) but I'm at least working towards a goal and will attempt to do something with it. It can't hurt to at least try to have a career (whether full-time or part-time) doing something you love, right? So go for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...