width=

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Significant Other Saturday #5





"No significant other is perfect and it doesn’t really matter. What matters is how we set ourselves up to think about them. If we focus on their failures, their annoyances, or ways in which we have felt hurt by them, then we will interact with them as a hurt and frustrated and disappointed partner. That makes for miserable living for ourselves and our partner and those around us. But if we focus on their strengths, their potential, and the ways in which we feel blessed by them, then we will interact with them as a forgiving, blessed, and contented partner. And there’s no greater need a partner has than to feel respected by their lover. If they feel like all they do is hurt, disappoint, and frustrate, then the same atmosphere and the same actions will be perpetuated. But if they feel that their partner can be happy and responsive regardless of their own shortcomings, they feels respected and empowered. Then a positive atmosphere is perpetuated and actions, once destructive, can improve in an environment that is rich for cultivation and growth into deepened respect and intimacy."



Significant Other Saturday is a day in which we can all get together and remember why we fell in love, why we continue to love, and why we will always love our partners. Too often we take our relationships for granted and just expect them to be there. Join Ida @ Eternity Kind of Love, and me - Rachael, as we challenge you to be attentive to your relationship and tell us all about your partner and why they are so special to you!





So far we've:

- Introduced our partners
- Shared five things we love about them
- Shared one thing we need to work on
- Talked about our favorite shared hobby

This weeks topic was:

Freebie Day: Talk about anything!

I confess, I thought about something to write about when it comes to my husband all week long, and I still haven't come up with anything specific that I want to talk about. So I'm just going to tell you about us.

My husband and I met back in 7th grade, almost 15 years ago. It feels like it was only a few years ago, but it's been so much longer. We were in the same homeroom, and he was one of the kids that got switched to a different homeroom from 6th grade. We didn't talk at first, but he became friends with some of my friends, and eventually we became "cool with each other." Then things got more friendly. I do believe I said my first cuss word because he cussed and I thought it was cool - that HE was cool. But that whole year we never dated.

We danced around each other much of 8th grade, but towards the end one of us asked the other to "go out with me". (Which meant we were boyfriend and girlfriend, in 8th grade language) Then we went on our class trip to Hersheypark. It was a super fun day, and I do believe I wore a white shirt that day, on purpose, because I knew that we were going on water rides, and that's what boys like right? The girl they're interested in, in a wet white t-shirt, with my bra showing through, right? Well apparently I was correct, and he spent most of the day holding my hand or having his arms around my waist.

Then we went to the Hershey Tower. I knew this was where I wanted it to happen. I was so super nervous, but I think he was even more so. See, Hubby is afraid of heights. But for some odd reason, he agreed to go on this thing with me - I think because he wanted it to happen too. We got on, grabbed a seat as separated from the others as possible, and started the climb to the top. Now, I will tell you, I almost chickened out. Partly because I LOVE this ride, the view, and seeing the HersheyKiss Lamposts. (yeah, DUMB!) But, as we finished the turn at the top I decided to go for it. I leaned in, and put my lips to his, and gave him his VERY.FIRST.KISS. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I corrupted the boy who would turn out to be my future husband! It was very nice, and I was confident, because I had kissed one other boy before him (Woooo! ONE BOY wow!) and I knew that he thought it was great by the dumbfounded look on his face!

Once we got back on the ground, I immediately went to my best girlfriends to tell them that I did it, and he sat down on a bench with a few of the guys that were in our group. Then I went over and kissed him on the cheek in front of everyone.

Thus started our relationship, for real. Within weeks we were telling each other, I love you. And I truly believe that even though when I broke up with him I thought I didn't mean it, that I truly truly did. Because he was always in my heart from that day on.

That day in Hersheypark.

P.S.- I used to have a picture of us from that day, but it's been damaged and cut apart since then. I'm actually very very sad about it. So I will share with you a picture from that summer.







We want to hear all about the loves of your lives!

* If you would like to participate *

Blog about the topic of the week found above, or blog about whatever you feel you need to say about your love! Then come back here and link up in the collection at the bottom of this post. Please grab the button and use it in your post, or post it somewhere on your blog!



The only thing we ask is to follow both my blog and Eternity Kind of Love, in some way. Either GFC, Facebook, Twitter or Email Updates. Just let us know how you are following so that we can follow back! We WILL follow back!

* If you want to add the blog hop to your post *

If you want to participate in the hop, just click here and copy and paste the link into the HTML of your post! That's it! Simple!



Significant Other Saturday





Next week's topic is:
Your favorite anniversary!
Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...